Featured Clans:

redditThis game sucks and I'm tired of pretending it doesn't

• Administrators

Back in the day, Clash Royale used to be the most fun mobile game around by far. The concept was new and groundbreaking, the gameplay smooth and exciting. I remember playing every single day, leveling up my cards, composing new decks to practice with and slowly getting better at the game. I remember starting up a clan with my classmates, which eventually made it into the Top 200 Local Clan Leaderboard. I remember watching Global Tournament replays on YouTube and dreaming of becoming a Clash Royale pro player myself one day. Over the years however, things have changed drastically.

Nowadays, the gameplay is stale, unoriginal, boring and repetitive. Around my trophy range (6000 trophies, 60.5% winrate), you either follow the meta or quit playing altogether. Building your own decks gets severly punished, toxic behaviour is key. Imagine taking pride in copying a deck off the internet, barely being able to secure the victory and BM'ing afterwards to feel better about yourself. It sickens me losing to a player with an overall winrate of up to 10 percent lower than mine, just because he decided to switch off his brain and use whatever deck the internet told him is good right now. I remember in-game creativity being one of Clash Royale's biggest strengths, but that aspect of the game has now almost completely disappeared.

Combine all of the above with the amount of time and money it takes to fully max out ONE card (even after the introduction of magic items, because the good ones are locked behind a paywall of course) and all of a sudden you find yourself in a situation where you can't even come up with a new deck to possibly compete against the current meta decks, because most of your cards are severely underleveled. 'Fortunately', competing in Clan Wars is another way to gain enough gold for your upgrades, if it weren't for the fact that Clan Wars battles tend to get even sweatier than regular battles (not to mention the numerous matchmaking issues) and really feel like a necessary evil one has to go through in order to achieve those juicy, juicy coins.

Besides, I believe the Pass Royale is about as pay-to-win as it gets. Not skilled enough to make it all the way through a challenge? No problem, just buy Pass Royale and get those 12 (or whatever amount of wins) handed to you on a silver platter. What even is the point of trying to improve at the game anymore? Creativity gets you nowhere, actual skills don't matter because money can buy you all the upgrades and wins you need. Supercell's cash grabbing mentality is the last thing this game needs in my opinion, because Clash Royale is truly dying. Gone are the days when people used to play this game for fun, gone are the days when unboxing a legendary card actually felt special, gone are the days when fully completing a challenge was looked upon as an achievement.

Clash Royale has numerous problems (some of which I haven't even adressed in this post: think of tournaments which are completely outdated, Grand Challenges that are unplayable if you aren't a pro, balance issues, the lack of communication to us, the playerbase) and has very few magic left. It's a shame letting a game like this go to waste, as the solution is simple: less monetization, more quality content. Revert back to monthly balance changes. Stop adding new cards but add new gameplay mechanics instead. Similarly to Brawl Stars, give players the ability to create custom game modes, card stats and arenas. Provide more of the 'good' magic items for free via challenges. Give maxed out players an incentive to play other than gaining trophies. There are so much options, really.

Despite all of its flaws I'm still in love with this game and I'm hoping the state of it will change soon, but for now, I'm taking a break and I don't plan on returning until some huge update drops. It has been a blast, but I just don't find myself enjoying the game anymore. Thanks to the readers who made it all the way through this wall of text, I hope it was a good read.

TL;DR: Clash Royale, one of the best games ever made, has deteriorated to a point where I'm leaving it behind.

submitted by /u/PortShenis_
[link] [comments]

View the full article