reddit [EFFORT POST] Low-Cost, High-Impact Suggestions That Can Fix Clan Wars 2.0

• Administrators
[EFFORT POST] Low-Cost, High-Impact Suggestions That Can Fix Clan Wars 2.0

Summary of the biggest suggestions. Read the post for reasoning & additional suggestions!

tl;dr: A bunch of suggestions that can address and solve the issues of Clan Wars 2.0 without radically adding new time-consuming to implement features, but making it an enjoyable game mode for all.

Hi Everyone,

Like the majority of the players on this subreddit, I was excited but ultimately disappointed with the Clan Wars 2.0 update, mainly due to the numerous issues pointed out by everyone. However, I do see the potential of CW 2.0 being an enjoyable mode where clans of different sizes/skill levels can compete with one another on fair footing.

In this post, I will outline the main issues with the current iteration of CW 2.0, and provide suggestions that leverage the good parts of CW 1.0, 2.0, and clan chest that can solve said issues without requiring any radical new features. I'm all for radical changes to CR in general that would make it better in the long run, but I feel like some of the suggestions I've seen on Reddit would be really time-consuming to implement, and given the current reception to the latest update, who wants to wait months, or years for changes?

As for the suggestions themselves, I'm open to any constructive feedback on them!

---

Issues:

• CW 2.0 heavily favors bigger clans over smaller ones.
  • Does not favor clans where members cannot participate every day vs ones where everyone participates.
  • Clan matchmaking does not take into account clan size/active participants.
  • Having to play several clan war matches every day over the course of a week does get tiresome/time consuming.
  • It's possible to have more than 50 members participate in a clan war via new members joining mid-war and contributing fame.
  • Every clan is forced to participate in CW 2.0; inactive clans do not make a clan war competitive.
  • Having to defeat 15 boat defenses to stall another clan's boat is unbalanced for small vs. big clans. Bigger/more active clans have more chances to take down a boat's defenses.

Suggestion:

• Set a day each week solely for players to register up for the clan war for the remainder of that week; the number of players registered in a clan helps determine clan participants/ match-ups.

One of the nice things from CW 1.0, the number of players who did a collection battle helped determine the number of members that participated in a war, which helped in matchmaking with other clans with similar participation numbers. By borrowing the registration component of that (hopefully the code for this still exists/can be easily ported!), it would solve the issue of unequal clan member matchups, players wouldn't be forced to participate if they chose not to, and avoids having to implement any new special "small clan wars/active players" functionality with different systems/leaderboards.

• Set one day to be the "Registration Day". No war battles, just an option to register for the clan war that takes place. Also provides down time for players to talk strategy, etc.
  • Players who registered for the war battle are eligible to gain fame and end of war rewards.
  • Prevents players from other clans/clan families joining a clan mid-war and boosting their fame, since they aren't "registered" for that war.
  • Eligible players who leave/get kicked out of the clan during the war will be addressed later on in this post.

---

Issues:

• CW 2.0 uses player's ladder card levels, leading to unfair match-ups.
  • Players gain more fame for including higher level cards in their decks.
  • The vicious cycle of players losing due to card level disparities, leading to less rewards, can't upgrade their decks, leading to players not playing CW 2.0 at all.

Suggestion:

• Make card levels tournament standard for CW 2.0.

As pointed out by many players, making card levels tournament standard would be the least work/highest impact change that can make people want to play in CW 2.0. It would remove the "I'll lose because of card levels" excuse that deters players from playing CW, giving non-max players a chance to compete against max level players on an even playing field. It would also remove the need to implement/create some new magic matchmaking/underdog/power level system that can waste developer time and can potentially be exploited anyways.

I've seen many people suggest level caps at league level as a solution, and that would indeed be better than using the current system of a player's ladder levels. However, I feel that having level caps would still punish clans with low-level clan members in it. Why would a clan wanting to win want to keep a player with lower card levels in it. All clans of all sizes/levels/skill levels should have an equal chance of progressing up the clan war leaderboards.

"If everything's tournament level, I'll never need to upgrade my cards ever! Supercell wants me to level up all my cards! How will Supercell make money if no one needs to upgrade their card levels anymore?"

From a non-max player's perspective, making CW 2.0 "fair" with tourney standard levels combined with Supercell's mentioning of it being one of the best way to gain rewards (I'll address the rewards issue later), these players would now have an incentive to get those rewards. The main reason why people don't upgrade cards is because they don't have the gold/cards to level them up; once they do have said rewards, what else would you do with all those rewards aside from upgrading? There's no reason to hoard them at all. Furthermore, with card levels being one of the main reasons why players don't play ladder, to have that same excuse for a game mode that requires as much player participation as possible to be fun, is fatal for CW, and CR, in the long run. tl;dr Players will upgrade cards once they have the resources for it, and aren't intimidated/discouraged by earning said rewards.

Furthermore, in CR, every tournament standard game mode has a play restriction to it. Classic/Grand Challenges cost gems to enter. Challenges cost gems/pass royale to continue and can only be completed once. Global tournaments are limited by the number of losses you take. CW 2.0 only gives you four matches each day. Only ladder and party are the game modes where a player can play *forever* for free. However, as per design, in order to have the most "fun" out of those modes you need to level up your cards. As a result, why should a game mode that you cannot play as much as you want be further restricted by card levels, especially one that the devs are saying everyone should play? tl;dr Ladder and Party should be the only game modes that use the player's card levels, as they can be played infinitely for free. Clan Wars, like other limited-play game modes, should be tournament standard.

As for Supercell making money from players paying to level up, I don't how much money they make from that and whether or not it's their main money-maker. However, for the long-term sustainability of Clash Royale, I do feel they need to move away from the paying to level up system and move towards other monetization systems. That discussion is outside the scope of this post, but I'll state that in the hypothetical future if players are still playing, once every CR player has their cards maxed out, how does this game gain additional revenue?

---

Issues:

• No incentive to change the 4 decks used in CW 2.0; players end up creating meta decks or most often used ladder deck, resulting in war battles becoming ladder 2.0.
  • With every card available to choose from; the meta for attacking an enemy boat will never change.
  • Lack of discussion/strategy among clan members regarding war decks on a constant basis.

Suggestion:

• All clans are given the same card collection pool; players build 4 decks from that pool to use in war.

Again leveraging one of the nice things from CW 1.0, the card collection pool (when the pool was completed with 40 cards at a standard level to choose from!) At the beginning of the clan war (or if using the suggestion above, during the rest day) every single clan is introduced with the same card pool of 40-48 cards at a fixed, same card level. From that pool of cards, war participants need to create 4 decks from it and use them to gain fame for their clan.

What this does is:

• Force players to switch up decks every clan war, preventing it from being stale over the long run.
  • Creates a weekly "meta" where competitive clan members can discuss deck strategy, similar to what clan wars 1.0 did for certain clans.
  • Provides weekly content for content creators that people would want to watch; people like Ash or OJ can release videos each week suggesting decks to use for the upcoming clan war week.

An added side effect of having a limited card collection pool is that the attacking meta for boat battles always changes; with the pool of cards always changing every week, there won't always be the same meta deck of using an elixir collector/giant skeleton/inferno dragon/clone/rage card to use together to destroy all three towers in one attack, for example.

---

Issue:

• War deck resets linked to player's local time; gives an unfair advantage to certain players in a "first one wins" system.

Suggestion:

• Standardize start/reset times for all clans.

I feel that anchoring the belief that clan war should be a race in the literal sense is fundamentally fatal to the longevity of CW 2.0. With the current implemented system, it promotes a "who finishes first" over a "who finishes best" mentality that seems counter to the idea of the best clans battling to the top of the leaderboards. Picture a scenario where two clans are a few fame points to the finish line, with the same number of remaining attacks. In this scenario, it's actually more advantageous to quickly lose your attacks in order to gain the remaining fame faster!

Furthermore, with the idea of reset times and a finish line goal, with the way time zones work and humans' need for sleep, certain players are bound to have more chances to duel than others and more ways to exploit that. By standardizing reset times as well as matchmaking clans with the same number of participants, it guarantees that every clan has the same number of potential "attacks" to work with, similar to how CW1 worked.

---

Issue:

• Small clans unable to finish races in time due to not having enough members to finish.
  • Clans that finish their race early have little incentive to play for the remainder of the week.

Suggestion:

• Change the "race" to who gets the most fame within the war time period instead of who reaches the target amount fame first.

It allows casual clans to fight at their own pace and not have to worry about getting in their attacks ASAP. Like CW 1.0, as long as you got your attacks in before time's up, that's the only thing that should matter. In addition, by changing it to whoever has the most fame at the end, it gives participating players an incentive to play the entire duration of the clan war. Yes, you can currently play war battles for gold if your clan already reached the goal, but for a player who's already maxed or doesn't need the gold, there's zero incentive for the remainder of the week to do a war battle.

---

Issues:

• Members who leave or do not participate during the war hurt the chances of the clan winning.
  • Casual clan members may not be able to commit to several war attacks per day, hurting the chances of the clan winning.

Suggestion:

• "Unused" clan war attacks by participating members carry over to the next day as extra clan attacks/free deck cooldowns that can be played by any remaining participating member.

An issue even in CW 1.0, participating members who either leave the clan, get kicked, or simply don't have the time to play CW every day, end up hurting a clan's number of potential number of attacks they can do in order to gain fame. A solution to this would be to have any unused attacks from the previous day carry over to the next day as extra attacks (i.e. free deck cooldowns) that participating members can use.

One aspect of the original clan chest that benefited casual clans was that for members who couldn't grind crowns to help get the best clan chest, other members could effectively "pick up the slack" by performing additional attacks that other members missed out on. Having unused attacks be playable the next day by other clan members allows for a similar "pick up the slack" play style. Can this be exploitable by having all the non-skilled players not do their attacks and having the pro members play the unused attacks the next day? Possibly, but it can be argued that it can be part of a clan's strategy, plus it's better than losing a war because a clan could not use all their potential attacks during a war due to absent members.

---

Issues:

• The effectiveness of boat battles lacks in comparison to performing a duel or battle.
  • The effectiveness of using the boatyard for repairs lacks in comparison to performing a duel, battle, or boat battle.

Suggestions:

• Increase fame earned in boat battles to be potentially greater than duels/battles to encourage clans attacking each other.

Although I would like a have a statistical analysis on the optimal strategy for CW 2.0 which means this assumption can be wrong, my (and possibly most other peoples') initial impression of it is that with the current allotment of fame given for winning a boat battle vs a duel or normal battle, winning a boat battle gives the same amount of fame as a duel or normal battle loss. Effectively, playing a boat battle negatively affects the potential amount of fame your clan can get over the course of the war. Yes, attacking another clan's boat does eventually cause them to be unable to gain fame until repairs are made, but it is strategically better to let another clan do boat battles instead.

To counter this, make the amount of fame gained in boat battle be potentially greater than in a normal battle based on the number of towers destroyed. For example,

Number of boat towers destroyed Amount of fame relative to duels/normal battles
0 0
1 0.5x (same as a duel/battle loss)
2 1.0x (same as a duel/battle win)
3 1.5x (more than a duel/battle win)

The added benefit of this is that it gives more of a focus on clans attacking other clans within the same war. It also provides a higher risk/reward scenario for clans to consider: "Can I take down all three towers by myself? If I cannot do that, is it worth it for more players to use their attacks to do so?, etc..."

• Remove the boatyard repair button.

Similarly, based on the amount of fame gained in a boatyard repair, it's more worth it to battle in a duel or normal battle, since there's the potential of gaining double the fame with a victory. If the intention of having the boatyard is to give low-level clan members a way to contribute to the war, surely there's a better and more fun means (\cough* tournament standard clan war levels *cough**) to participate rather than simply clicking on a button.

---

Issue:

• Setting up a boat defense is first-come, first-serve; other players are unable to set defenses up afterwards.

Suggestions:

• Allow all players in a clan to edit all clan defenses. Add notifications showing if someone has edited a defense in the clan chat to prevent abuse.

If a clan member sets up an incorrect defense, instead of trying to tell them to change the defense, anyone (or only leaders/co-leaders) should be able to go in and edit that defense.

---

Issue:

• The current rate of clan trophies gained per war season will make progression to higher leagues absurdly slow, especially stating as a new clan.
  • Trophies are generated in bronze league; this will eventually lead to trophy inflation at legendary league, resulting in trophy/matchmaking disparities similar to CW 1.0.

Suggestions:

• Replace trophies with a promotion/relegation system for each weekly clan war to allow progression to occur faster, as well as sort out clan skill levels faster.

As it currently stands, a clan can gain a maximum of 180 trophies per 5-week war season, assuming they finish 1st each week. With this in mind, for a clan starting from zero to reach the 3000 trophies required for legendary league it will take a minimum of 1.6 years to get there. To me, that's an absurd amount of time to reach that level and would only discourage players from creating new clans. Furthermore for example, if a group of skilled pros decide to form a new clan, does that mean for that 1.6 year duration, they get to beat up on bronze, silver, gold league players during that time?

As an alternative to using trophies to determine league progression, perhaps a promotion/relegation systems commonly used in European Football (Soccer) leagues may be the solution here. For example:

Clan finish in weekly war Result
1st Gets promoted to the next higher league (except legendary league); gets awarded a league victory trophy
2nd - 4th
5th Gets demoted to the next lower league (except Bronze III)

If one clan gets promoted, and one clan gets demoted every clan war week, a clan starting from zero would take a minimum of 9 weeks to reach legendary league (the 10th tier, after Bronze, Silver, Gold I, II, III). After which, that clan would have to avoid finishing last each week in order to stay at legendary. Like in real life, there would be battles at the top to of course finish in first, but also battles at the bottom to avoid finishing last, which would add more interest in a clan war where a clan has no hope in finishing first.

At a meta level, clans would quickly sort themselves out as opposed to the current system, ensuring that the truly skilled clans are at the top and remain there.

Trophies can still be given out per rank; these trophies can be used for leaderboard rankings as a sort of tiebreaker when clans are equal in league victories.

---

Issue:

• Clans face the same clans over an entire war season. In cases where one clan is far better than the other clans, it creates an non-enjoyable experience if that clan constantly wins every week.

Suggestion:

• Change the participating clans every war week.

With regards to the current system where the same clans face each other for the entire 5-week war season, I'm unsure of the reasoning behind this, since clans have very little interaction among them aside from boat battles. Again, if even one clan is slightly better than the others and constantly wins each week, it creates a non-enjoyable experience for the other four clans. To remedy this, changing the clans you face every week would avoid a situation like this.

---

Issues:

• Clans who do not finish a race earn a boot regardless of their placement in their clan war race.
  • Removal of quests and placing their rewards in a win-dependent game mode.
  • Current rewards, and ultimately clan wars, have very little incentive for already maxed-out players.

Suggestions:

• Remove the boot reward; give rewards based on finish order.

With the current system, it does feel awful when a clan finishes first in a race but doesn't hit the fame threshold. In effect, the members who spent time to battle for fame end up with the same rewards as everyone else in the losing clans. Also if the clan war were to switch to who gains the most fame over a week instead of who finishes first, this issue would also be resolved.

• Add rewards similar to ladder's trophy road to the clan war.

This would provide incentive for clans with no hope in finishing first in a war. One of the depressing things in CW 1.0 was if clans' placements were guaranteed, e.g. a clan in 4th place having no hope of finishing 3rd or above, there was very little incentive for that clan to do their war battles. Having fame thresholds for rewards would at least give clans some motivation to get those bonus rewards on top of the ranking rewards and possibly drive more participation in clan wars in general. The requirements needed and rewards can be scaled based on the number of participants in the war, so that players have a chance to get them during it.

• Provide rewards other than cards & gold in clan war; give rewards that allow clans to express themselves in a unique manner; give a currency gained via war rankings used to purchase clan flairs/backgrounds, etc.

While this is a minority of the number of players in CR, maxed out players have almost zero incentive to play clan war. Gold and card rewards mean nothing to them at all. While clan rankings in the leaderboard may be a motivator for some people, rewards that focus on unique content that lets players/clans express themselves to the world would definitely increase the number of players willing to play clan war.

Examples of these things could include:

• Emotes
  • Clan badges
  • Clan chat backgrounds

Basically, rewards that can increase the prestige/unique look of a clan would make it more engaging for players than simply rewards. These rewards can be purchased, for example, via the trader (another way to make him useful!) using currency (fame?) gained from a clan's rank in wars. To maintain longevity, these rewards should be at a cost where it takes multiple wars worth of currency to obtain.

tl;dr: Low-cost Suggestions to Improve CW 2.0

• Have a registration day each week solely for players to register up for the clan war for the remainder of that week; the number of players registered in a clan helps determine clan participants/ match-ups.
  • Card levels should be tournament standard for CW 2.0.
  • All clans are given the same card collection pool every week; players build 4 decks from that pool to use in war.
  • Standardize start/reset times for all clans.
  • Change the "race" to who gets the most fame within the war time period instead of who reaches the target amount fame first.
  • "Unused" clan war attacks by participating members carry over to the next day as extra clan attacks/free deck cooldowns that can be played by any remaining participating member.
  • Increase fame earned in boat battles to be potentially greater than duels/battles to encourage clans attacking each other.
  • Remove the boatyard repair button.
  • Allow all players in a clan to edit all clan defenses. Add notifications showing if someone has edited a defense in the clan chat to prevent abuse.
  • Replace trophies with a promotion/relegation system for each weekly clan war to allow progression to occur faster, as well as sort out clan skill levels faster.
  • Change the participating clans every war week.
  • Remove the boot reward; give rewards based on finish order.
  • Add rewards similar to ladder's trophy road to the clan war.
  • Provide rewards other than cards & gold in clan war; give rewards that allow clans to express themselves in a unique manner.

Closing Thoughts

Before finishing, I do want to say that making games is NOT easy. More often than not, many great ideas through their development fail often before we see the final product. It is only through constant feedback, testing, and iteration that a great idea can be fully realized. It is my (and many others') hope that u/Supercell_Drew and the rest of the dev team consider all the feedback and suggestions from everyone given so far, communicate their thoughts and ideas on their update plans for further feedback, and use it all to make the next iteration of CW something that can appeal to CR players of all types.

If you've read this far, thank you for staying all the way, and if you have any constructive feedback, feel free to comment!

Cheers!

submitted by /u/cheesyramen_81
[link] [comments]

View the full article